Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Paul Jackson
Date: Sat Apr 09 2005 - 22:43:36 EST

Linus wrote:
> Almost everything
> else keeps the <sha1> in the ASCII hexadecimal representation, and I
> should have done that here too. Why? Not because it's a <sha1> - hey, the
> binary representation is certainly denser and equivalent

Since the size of <compressed> ASCII sha1's is only about 18% larger
than the size of the same number of binary sha1's <compressed or not>, I
don't see you gain much from the binary.

I cast my non-existent vote for making the sha1 ascii - while you still can ;).

--
I won't rest till it's the best ...
Programmer, Linux Scalability