Re: Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.1

From: Petr Baudis
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 16:28:27 EST

Dear diary, on Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 09:13:19PM CEST, I got a letter
where Willy Tarreau <willy@xxxxxxxxx> told me that...
> On Sun, Apr 10, 2005 at 08:45:22PM +0200, Petr Baudis wrote:
>
> > It turns out to be the forks for doing all the cuts and such what is
> > bogging it down so awfully (doing diff-tree takes 0.48s ;-). I do about
> > 15 forks per change, I guess, and for some reason cut takes a long of
> > time on its own.
> >
> > I've rewritten the cuts with the use of bash arrays and other smart
> > stuff. I somehow don't feel comfortable using this and prefer the
> > old-fashioned ways, but it would be plain unusable without this.
>
> I've encountered the same problem in a config-generation script a while
> ago. Fortunately, bash provides enough ways to remove most of the forks,
> but the result is less portable.
>
> I've downloaded your code, but it does not compile here because of the
> tv_nsec fields in struct stat (2.4, glibc 2.2), so I cannot use it to
> get the most up to date version to take a look at the script. Basically,

Ok, I decided to stop this nsec madness (since it broke show-diff
anyway at least on my ext3), and you get it only if you pass -DNSEC
to CFLAGS now. Hope this fixes things for you. :-)

BTW, I regularly update the public copy as accessible on the web.

> all the 'cut' and 'sed' can be removed, as well as the 'dirname'. You
> can also call mkdir only if the dirs don't exist. I really think you
> should end up with only one fork in the loop to call 'diff'.

You still need to extract the file by cat-file too. ;-) And rm the files
after it compares them (so that we don't fill /tmp with crap like
certain awful programs like to do). But I will conditionalize the mkdir
calls, thanks for the suggestion - I think that's the last bit to be
squeezed from this loop (I'll yet check on the read proposal - I
considered it before and turned down for some reason, can't remember why
anymore, though).

Thanks,

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis