RE: more git updates..

From: Luck, Tony
Date: Sun Apr 10 2005 - 17:09:10 EST

>Also, I did actually debate that issue with myself, and decided that even
>if we do have tons of files per directory, git doesn't much care. The
>reason? Git never _searches_ for them. Assuming you have enough memory to
>cache the tree, you just end up doing a "lookup", and inside the kernel
>that's done using an efficient hash, which doesn't actually care _at_all_
>about how many files there are per directory.

So long as the hash *is* efficient when the directory is packed full of
38 character filenames made only of [0-9a-f] ... which might not match
the test cases under which the hash was picked :-) When there are some
full-sized kernel git images, someone should do a sanity check.

>Hey, I may end up being wrong, and yes, maybe I should have done a
>two-level one. The good news is that we can trivially fix it later (even
>dynamically - we can make the "sha1 object tree layout" be a per-tree
>config option, and there would be no real issue, so you could make small
>projects use a flat version and big projects use a very deep structure
>etc). You'd just have to script some renames to move the files around.

It depends on how many eco-system shell scripts get built that need to
know about the layout ... if some shell/perl "libraries" encode this
filename layout (and people use them) ... then switching later would
indeed be painless.

-Tony