Re: more git updates..

From: Anton Altaparmakov
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 04:28:28 EST

On Mon, 2005-04-11 at 01:04 +0200, Bernd Eckenfels wrote:
> In article <20050410111905.53a2f6a1.pj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:
> > (I repeat the xxx in the leaf name - easier to code.)
>
> It is a bit OT, but just a note: there are file systems (hash functions) out
> there who dont like a lot of files named the same way. For example NTFS with
> the 8.3 short names.

Since you mention NTFS, there is no need to worry about that for Linux.
Certainly the Linux kernel NTFS driver is never going to create 8.3
short names. (It doesn't create names at all at the moment but my grand
plan is that it will only ever create file names in the Win32 and/or
POSIX name spaces. The DOS name space is a thing of the past IMO.)

Best regards,

Anton
Linux NTFS maintainer / IRC: #ntfs on irc.freenode.net
WWW: http://linux-ntfs.sf.net/ & http://www-stu.christs.cam.ac.uk/~aia21/