Re: [RFC] FUSE permission modell (Was: fuse review bits)

From: Daniel Jacobowitz
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 10:38:49 EST

On Mon, Apr 11, 2005 at 04:43:32PM +0200, Miklos Szeredi wrote:
> 3) No other user should have access to files under the mount, not
> even root[5]

> [5] Obviously root cannot be restricted, but accidental access to
> private data is still a good idea. E.g. root squashing by NFS servers
> has a similar affect.

Could you explain a little more? I don't see the point in denying
access to root, but I also can't tell from your explanation whether you
do or not.

If I mount a filesystem using ssh, I want to be able to "sudo cp
foo.txt /etc" and not get an inexplicable permissions error.

I don't really see the point of this restriction, anyway. Could you
explain why this shouldn't be a matter of policy, and kept out of the
kernel? Have the userspace file servers default to putting restrictive
permissions on mounts unless requested otherwise.

I can think of plenty of uses for this.

> 4) Access should not be further restricted for the owner of the
> mount, even if permission bits, uid or gid would suggest
> otherwise

Similar questions.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz