Re: [rfc] git: combo-blobs

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 10:42:56 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > to construct the combo blob later on, we do have to unpack sched.c (and
> > if it's already a combo-blob that is not cached then we'd have to unpack
> > all parents until we arrive at some full blob).
>
> I really don't want to have this. Having chains of dependencies is
> really painful, and now if _any_ of them gets corrupted, you're
> screwed.

if a repository is corrupted then it pretty much needs to be dropped
anyway. Also, with a 'replicate the full object on every 8th commit'
rule the risk would be somewhat mitigated as well.

but yeah, i can very much see the point of trying to avoid that
complexity. (Also, it's not like delta blobs couldnt be introduced later
on, if there's enough (if any) pressure to reduce storage overhead.)

Ingo