Re: Processes stuck on D state on Dual Opteron

From: Claudio Martins
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 11:50:35 EST

On Monday 11 April 2005 13:45, Nick Piggin wrote:

> No luck yet (on SMP i386). How many disks are you using in each
> raid1 array? You are using one array for swap, and one mounted as
> ext3 for the working area of the `stress` program, right?

Right. I'm using two Seagate ATA133 disks (ide controler is AMD-8111) each
with 4 partitions, so I get 4 md Raid1 devices. The first one, md0, is for
swap. The rest are

~$ df -h
/dev/md1 4.6G 1.9G 2.6G 42% /
tmpfs 1005M 0 1005M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/md3 32G 107M 30G 1% /home
/dev/md2 31G 149M 29G 1% /var

In these tests, /home on md3 is the working area for stress.

The io scheduler used is the anticipatory.

> Neil, have you had a look at the traces? Do they mean much to you?
>
> Claudio - I have attached another patch you could try. It has a more
> complete set of mempool and related memory allocation fixes, as well
> as some other recent patches I had which reduces atomic memory usage
> by the block layer. Could you try if you get time? Thanks.

OK, I'll try them in a few minutes and report back.

I'm curious as whether increasing the vm.min_free_kbytes sysctl value would
help or not in this case. But I guess it wouldn't since there is already some
free memory and also the alloc failures are order 0, right?

Thanks

Claudio