Re: Processes stuck on D state on Dual Opteron

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Mon Apr 11 2005 - 18:01:29 EST

Claudio Martins wrote:

Right. I'm using two Seagate ATA133 disks (ide controler is AMD-8111) each with 4 partitions, so I get 4 md Raid1 devices. The first one, md0, is for swap. The rest are

~$ df -h
/dev/md1 4.6G 1.9G 2.6G 42% /
tmpfs 1005M 0 1005M 0% /dev/shm
/dev/md3 32G 107M 30G 1% /home
/dev/md2 31G 149M 29G 1% /var

In these tests, /home on md3 is the working area for stress.

The io scheduler used is the anticipatory.

OK.

OK, I'll try them in a few minutes and report back.

I'm not overly hopeful. If they fix the problem, then it's likely
that the real bug is hidden.

I'm curious as whether increasing the vm.min_free_kbytes sysctl value would help or not in this case. But I guess it wouldn't since there is already some free memory and also the alloc failures are order 0, right?

Yes. And the failures you were seeing with my first patch were coming
from the mempool code anyway. We want those to fail early so they don't
eat into the min_free_kbytes memory.

You could try raising min_free_kbytes though. If that fixes it, then it
indicates there might be some problem in a memory allocation failure
path in software raid somewhere.

Thanks

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.