Error When Booting: Resize Inode Not Valid

From: Dan Berger
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 07:28:07 EST

Hello. I have recently switched to Linux to prevent any big errors...
but I guess I just have bad luck :)

Distro: Fedora Core 3
Kernel: 2.6.10-1.FC3_770
File system: ext3
Mobo: Gigabyte GA7VAXP+

This morning I went to reboot my machine normally after an 8 day
uptime. At boot, when it checked the root partition's integrity, I got
the error "Resize inode not valid" and I was dropped to the repair fs
console.

I ran fsck.ext3 numerous times, always answering yes to recreating the
resize inode... but to no avail. I even tried doing this from FC3's
rescue CD.

Interestingly enough, I can mount and unmount root and the rest of the
partitions when in the rescue CD.

I should mention that the last 2 bytes of the 512 byte MBR is aa 55
and the PBR of my root partition is entirely null. There is no aa 55
at the end.

I also checked out /var/log/dmesg and /var/log/messages and they both
ave nothing out of the ordinary.

Here is the Grub conf:
default=0
timeout=5
hiddenmenu
title Fedora Core (2.6.10-1.770_FC3)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.10-1.770_FC3 ro root=LABEL=/1
initrd /initrd-2.6.10-1.770_FC3.img

Any light that you can shed on this troubling subject would be highly
appreciated,

Respectfully yours,

Dan J. Berger