Re: Digi Neo 8: linux-2.6.12_r2 jsm driver

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 11:30:40 EST

On Tue, 2005-04-12 10:30:19 -0500, Kilau, Scott <Scott_Kilau@xxxxxxxx>
wrote in message <335DD0B75189FB428E5C32680089FB9F122152@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > There are people who just want the card supported. There's no reason
> > to deny the driver to them.
>
> Oh, it *is* supported, using our GPL'ed DGNC driver available on our
> ftp/web site.
>
> This is not some argument of closed binaries versus open source
> binaries,
> As both the JSM and DGNC drivers are completely open source and GPL'ed.

So then please do *all* the work, not only the first half. Writing a
driver is a nice thing, but doesn't actually help anybody. Doing a
driver for eg. Linux means to *care* for it. That is, writing it is only
the very first step of a longer way. The next step is to supply patches
for review. Then you'll get some feedback and you're expected to work
the issues out. Then you can again submit patches -- and repeat this
until it's merged.

> This is about having the users of this card end up
> getting a worse experience by using the JSM driver.

Then please work on getting your driver included into Linus' and Andrews
kernel sources. For some time, both drivers may co-exist, but once one
driver is *really* superior over the other one and there are *no* issues
left that force people to use the worse driver, that one will die out at
some time.

But please be prepared to be in a competitive position. You've won't get
your driver included by just telling once about it; you'll need to work
towards that goal, and probably monitor the driver to be useable in the
future.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx . +49-172-7608481 _ O _
"Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg _ _ O