RE: Digi Neo 8: linux-2.6.12_r2 jsm driver

From: Kilau, Scott
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 12:06:58 EST

Hi Greg,

> What features? Didn't we end up with a valid resolution to all of the
> additional stuff in the jsm driver that you originally asked for? Why
> not work on adding those new features to the serial core, and then
there
> would be no issue with accepting your other driver?

I appreciate your "calm" response. =)

DPA (Digi Port Authority) support (the special ioctls)
and /proc (and /sys) files were left unresolved.
Wendy had no choice but to remove them to get the driver
into the kernel sources.

IBM was okay with removing them, so I was okay with doing it as well,
as the whole point of the JSM driver is to support IBM's card directly.

However, removing those things are just unacceptable for Digi for our
cards.

I understand your position, and I respect it.
This is why for now, I cannot submit the original DGNC driver.

However, I have taken your suggestion of moving to the serial-core to
heart,
and in the future, when I am able to drop 2.4 kernel support in the
DGNC driver, I will completely go to serial-core, like the JSM driver
has already done.

Thanks!
Scott Kilau