Re: What does 'WrongLevel' mean in RAID0 ?

From: Neil Brown
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 17:22:17 EST

On Tuesday April 12, jamagallon@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Hi all...
>
> I have a RAID0 setup on top of three IDE drives.
> mdadm monitor sends me mesages with:
>
> DeviceDisappeared
> /dev/md0
> Wrong-Level
>
> The RAID seems to be working well. Any pointer on what does this
> mean ?

From "man mdadm" (if you know where to look)

Follow or Monitor
Monitor one or more md devices and act on any state changes.
This is only meaningful for raid1, 4, 5, 6 or multipath arrays
as only these have interesting state. raid0 or linear never
have missing, spare, or failed drives, so there is nothing to
monitor.

You are presumably trying to monitor a raid0 (which isn't meaningful)
and mdadm is telling you (in its own idiosyncratic way) that it isn't
going to monitor it.

NeilBrown