Re: Kernel SCM saga..

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Tue Apr 12 2005 - 18:32:52 EST

Hi!

> > It's possible to generate another object with the same hash, but:
>
> Yeah - the real check is that the modified object has to
> compile and do something useful for someone (the cracker
> if no one else).
>
> Just getting a random bucket of bits substituted for a
> real kernel source file isn't going to get me into the
> cracker hall of fame, only into their odd-news of the
> day.

I actually two different files with same md5 sum in my local CVS
repository. It would be very wrong if CVS did not do the right thing
with those files.

Yes, I was playing with md5, see "md5 to be considered harmfull
today". And I wanted old version of my "exploits" to be archived.

Pavel
--
Boycott Kodak -- for their patent abuse against Java.