Re: Re: [ANNOUNCE] git-pasky-0.3

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 09:49:47 EST

On Wed, 2005-04-13 at 07:38 -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> David, we already can. The objects are _designed_ to be shared.
>
> However, that is the ".git/objects" subdirectory. Not the per-view stuff.
> For each _view_ you do need to have view-specific data, and the view index
> very much is that. That's ".git/index".

Yep, it takes very little to achieve that -- to allow multiple checked-
out trees from a single object database. Petr's already outlined what it
takes.

> In other words, that index file simply _cannot_ be shared. Don't even
> think about it. Only madness will ensue.

If I use git in my home directory I cannot _help_ but share it.
Sometimes I'm using it from a BE box, sometimes from a LE box. Should I
really be forced to use separate checkouts for each type of machine?
It's bad enough having to do that for ~/bin :)

Seriously, it shouldn't have a significantly detrimental effect on the
performance if we just use explicitly sized types and fixed byte-order.
It's just not worth the pain of being gratuitously non-portable.

--
dwmw2