CDR read problems with 2.6.11?

From: Bradley Reed
Date: Wed Apr 13 2005 - 18:37:42 EST

I am running 2.6.11 with -ac4 and
realtime-preempt-2.6.11-final-V0.7.40-00 patches. Up to now, no
complaints, great job everyone.

Today I burnt two data backup CDs onto CD-R (I used k3b if it
matters) and the burn went 100% fine. No errors, I can read the
disks on other computers or on this one if I reboot into a different
kernel (2.4.28 for instance). Unfortunately I cannot read them from
the kernel I burned them with. [1]

mount yields:

root@galactus:~[1009]# mount /mnt/cdrom
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/cdrom,
missing codepage or other error
dmesg | tail or so

dmesg shows:

hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: DMA disabled
hda: ATAPI reset complete
hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: ATAPI reset complete
hda: tray open
end_request: I/O error, dev hda, sector 64
isofs_fill_super: bread failed, dev=hda, iso_blknum=16, block=16
hda: irq timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }
ide: failed opcode was: unknown
hda: ATAPI reset complete

Obviously the tray is NOT open, but the other errors don't mean much
to me.

The drive is a NEC DVD+RW ND-5100A

Any suggestions on why I can't read (or burn correctly) the disks with 2.6.11?

Brad

[1] Actually although they mount and I can ls them under 2.4.28, not all the
files seem to be complete. The last few tarballs seem to be incomplete.
Earlier ones in the ls listing seem fine. Strange.