Re: DVD writer and IDE support...

From: Lennart Sorensen
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 07:44:32 EST

On Wed, Apr 13, 2005 at 10:59:49PM +0200, aeriksson@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Nope. No go. The kernel log getsb these 4 lines:
> Apr 13 22:08:30 tippex SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
> Apr 13 22:08:30 tippex sr0: Current: sense key: Medium Error
> Apr 13 22:08:36 tippex SCSI error : <0 0 0 0> return code = 0x8000002
> Apr 13 22:08:36 tippex sr0: Current: sense key: Medium Error
>
> and the application bails out with:
> :-[ WRITE@LBA=0h failed with SK=5h/ASC=30h/ACQ=05h]: Wrong medium type
> :-( media is not formatted or unsupported.
> :-( write failed: Wrong medium type
>
> This is with a fresh from the box DVD-RW. Do I need to 'format' the
> thing before writing to it? This is getting tricky... Are these kind
> of errors normally indicative of lack of support or a faulty unit?
> I have no windows around to test it with the shipped nero-cd :-(

What brand/model drive is this?

It is possible to get very weird errors if you have unsupported media in
the drive and some drives don't like certain media types. Sometimes a
firmware update on the drive fixes it although it usually requires
windows (or sometimes dos) to install the update (or linux will do if
the drive is a plextor).

Len Sorensen