Re: [INFO] Kernel strict versioning

From: Franco \"Sensei\"
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 17:55:53 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

ABI stability requires API stability [1].

Of course it requires API stability... as I said ``API and data structure stability should be something in mind''. I really meant that API shouldn't change suddenly. And from the moment in which API are stable, still having even different implementations, *then* (not before) probably ABI can be taken in consideration.

[1] you can break the API without breaking the ABI, but these are
mostly pathological examples

I don't want to even think about an incredible coincidence of having a _working_ ABI with different API... different function calls, different data structures, different behaviors, and still working in binary mode...

--
Sensei <mailto:senseiwa@xxxxxx> <pgp:8998A2DB>
<icqnum:241572242>