Re: Linux support for IBM ThinkPad Disk shock prevention update...

From: Alejandro Bonilla
Date: Thu Apr 14 2005 - 22:23:34 EST

05-04-14 at 16:58 -0400, Shawn Starr wrote:

We just need to figure
out to get the specs from IBM

Best bet is probably reverse engineering it...

Lee,

I know this is far from easy... but, What do we need to do this? I haven't
seen such a cooler feature in a Thinkpad like the HDAPS. (Well, maybe the
fingerprint reader) But, how can we / I help, if this is ever done?

Please see:

http://dxr3.sourceforge.net/re.html

I have discovered several previously unknown emu10k1 hardware features
using this procedure to reverse engineer the Windows drivers, including
a per channel half loop interrupt, and added support to the Linux driver
for some of them.

It may be much easier to find the read and write register subroutines
than in the above guide. The Windows driver I was working with had
exactly one subroutine that used the inb, inl, inw, outb, outw, outl
instructions, so it was trivial to set breakpoints to log all the port
I/O. I later found it was even easier, the version of SoftIce I was
using allows you to set I/O breakpoints, so all you need to start
logging the register activity is the port.

I had a little trouble loading the IDA symbols into SoftICE at first,
just because the first few scripts I found on the net didn't work.

Some devices use memory mapped IO, I have no idea how you would RE
these. Maybe someone else has some pointers?

Lee

The only thing I got back from IBM was:

Please be advised, that the e-mail forum you
have reached is provided for non-technical
support and web registration issues of IBM.
ave reached is provided for non-technical

Please send your research proposal to IBM at
T.J Watson Research Center at 914-945-3167.

I don't think I'm l33t enough like to call there and discuss for what we are looking for. Also they will probably tell me, " Ahh, well we currenly don't want to release anything because of legal issue" (Like I was already told)

- Alejandro