Re: poor SATA performance under 2.6.11 (with < 2.6.11 is OK)?

From: Tomasz Chmielewski
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 02:23:13 EST

Tomasz Torcz wrote:

See: http://home-tj.org/m15w/

...but this link just doesn't explain why performance is sooo bad with 2.6.11.x kernels (Timing buffered disk reads at 10-20 MB/sec), and is just OK with older 2.6 kernels (Timing buffered disk reads even at about 100 MB/sec with 2.6.8.1).

any clue?

The sata_sil blacklist grown over time. Older version didn't mark your
drive as bad. Check sata_sil history at
http://www.linuxhq.com/kernel/file/drivers/scsi/sata_sil.c ,
you may find exact time when your drive got blacklisted.

OK thanks, I'll look for that.

What is this blacklisting really (besides that it gives bad performance for me)?

Does it mean that if I use a kernel which performs well on this hardware (i.e. 2.6.8.1, does not seem to have this blacklisting enabled yet) I risk data corruption?

And on a kernel in which my hardware is blacklisted, and therefore which performs poorly, I don't risk data corruption (at least when it comes to transferring data between the drive and the SATA controller)?

Tomek