Re: Fortuna

From: David Wagner
Date: Fri Apr 15 2005 - 20:32:29 EST

linux wrote:
>/dev/urandom depends on the strength of the crypto primitives.
>/dev/random does not. All it needs is a good uniform hash.

That's not at all clear. I'll go farther: I think it is unlikely
to be true.

If you want to think about cryptographic primitives being arbitrarily
broken, I think there will be scenarios where /dev/random is insecure.

As for what you mean by "good uniform hash", I think you'll need to
be a bit more precise.

>Do a bit of reading on the subject of "unicity distance".

Yes, I've read Shannon's original paper on the subject, as well
as many other treatments.

I stand by my comments above.