Re: 2.6 upgrade overall failure report

From: Alejandro Bonilla
Date: Sat Apr 16 2005 - 12:59:07 EST

I usually never complain, or give negative motivation, but this is a reality.

Now, what's wrong with that ?
Well, the fact is that new hardware is only supported by latest kernel,
so at the end, you have to upgrade, and so you get more and more complexity
whether you like it or not.
As an example, for servers, 2.4 is still fine, but laptops already require 2.6

If it wouldn't be because my wifi card only works in 2.6 and cause the speedstep support for my laptop, I would be using 2.4 kernels.

As a result, the complexity versus stability compromise is less and less
suited for most real life uses.

Now the problem with the kernel complexity is:
. ultimate implementation requires much more testing than simple good one (TCP
sample)
. it makes life harder for device drivers writers (tigon3 or fusion sample)

I have returned laptops to get them exchanged for one's that have a e100/e1000 instead the tigon3. It's a shame that manufacturers still use this chip on servers and laptops.