Re: [RFC] FUSE permission modell (Was: fuse review bits)

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Sun Apr 17 2005 - 13:46:57 EST

> > 1) Only allow mount over a directory for which the user has write
> > access (and is not sticky)
> >
> > 2) Use nosuid,nodev mount options
> >
> > [ parts deleted ]
>
> Do these solve all the security concerns with unprivileged mounts, or
> are there other barriers/concerns? Should there be ulimit (or rlimit)
> style restrictions on how many mounts/binds a user is allowed to have
> to prevent users from abusing mount privs?

Currently there is a (configurable) global limit for all non-root FUSE
mounts. An additional per-user limit would be nice, but from the
security standpoint it doesn't matter.

> I was thinking about this a while back and thought having a user-mount
> permissions file might be the right way to address lots of these
> issues. Essentially it would contain information about what
> users/groups were allowed to mount what sources to what destinations
> and with what mandatory options.

I haven't yet seen the need for such a great flexibility. Debian
installs fusermount (the FUSE mount utility) "-rwsr-x--- root fuse",
so only users in the "fuse" group are allowed to use it. This is sane
for a new technology, but I expect these limitations to be removed
once it establishes itsef as a secure solution.

> You can get the start of this with the user/users/etc. stuff in
> /etc/fstab, but I was envisioning something a bit more dynamic with
> regular expression based rules for sources and destinations. So,
> something like:

[snip]

> Is this unnecessary? Is this not enough?

Maybe it is necessary, but why bother until somebody actually wants
it? I'm a great believer of the "lazy" development philosophy ;)

Thanks,
Miklos