Re: intercepting syscalls

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 06:56:37 EST

On Fri, 15 Apr 2005, Igor Shmukler wrote:

> Thank you very much. I will check this out.
> A thanks to everyone else who contributed. I would still love to know
> why this is a bad idea.

Because there is no safe way in which you could have multiple
of these modules loaded simultaneously - say one security
module and AFS. There is an SMP race during the installing
of the hooks, and the modules can still wreak havoc if they
get unloaded in the wrong order...

There just isn't a good way to hook into the syscall table.