Re: [RFC] CryptoAPI & Compression

From: Artem B. Bityuckiy
Date: Mon Apr 18 2005 - 10:11:13 EST

Hello,

Well, with Mark Adler's help I've realized that extending zlib isn't than simple task.

Herbert Xu wrote:
What I was suggesting is to invert the calculation that deflateBound
is doing so that it gives a lower bound on the input buffer size
that does not exceed a given output buffer size.
Actually, for JFFS2 we need to leave the uncompressable data uncompressed. So if the pcompress interface have only been for JFFS2, I'd just return an error rather then expand data. Is such behavior acceptable for common Linux's parts pike CryptoAPI ?

And more, frankly, I don't like the "independent" partial compression approach in JFFS2 and in JFFS3 (if it will ever happen) I'd make these pieces dependent. For this purpose we'd need some deflate-like CryptoAPI interface. I'm not going to implement it at the moment, I'm just curious - what do you guys think about a generalized deflate-like CryptoAPI compression interface?

--
Best Regards,
Artem B. Bityuckiy,