Re: E1000 - page allocation failure - saga continues :(

From: Nick Piggin
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 03:25:25 EST

On Tue, 2005-04-19 at 10:15 +0200, Yann Dupont wrote:
> Nick Piggin a Ãcrit :
>

> >>Do you have turned NAPI on ??? I tried without it off on e1000 and ...
> >>surprise !
> >>Don't have any messages since 12H now (usually I got those in less than 1H)
> >>

> >Possibly kswapd might be unable to get enough CPU to free memory.
> >

> Ok, so what you're saying is that turning NAPI off is just slowing down
> things enough to not be hit by
> this problem , right ?

Perhaps, yes. Or that NAPI is using more CPU than non-NAPI
(which I understand can happen in some corner cases).

If you have a multiprocessor (or even hyperthreading), I
think you could test this by binding kswapd on cpu CPU, and
put nic interrupts on the other - then test with and without
NAPI.

That is, presuming you can reproduce the problem on your
multiprocessor system in the first place.

--
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.