Re: Development Model

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 14:29:05 EST

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

> actually we have shown (and I like the model very much, it's a great way
> to get many features production ready and in the hand of users/customers
> really fast) that it doesn't take an odd number release branch to get
> major changes in. Instead it takes careful design and sufficient testing
> and review and most of the changes can go in anyway.

Perhaps even more importantly, things get merged one change
at a time, and stabilised one change at a time. This is a
big change from the even/odd numbered kernel series, where
sometimes a bug crops up without anybody knowing exactly
what change introduced it.

The current development model seems to go much smoother than
anything I've seen before.