Re: question on 2.4 scheduler, threads, and priority inversion

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Tue Apr 19 2005 - 18:42:24 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:

I believe that in the old LinuxThreads implementation the manager thread is the one that handles all signals, so it may need its priority increased as well. NPTL threads likely handle this much better (there is no manager thread).

Some experimenting leads me to believe that both the main thread and the manager thread must be of higher priority than the cpu hogging thread, otherwise priority inversion issues occur.

I was fairly shocked that even a "kill -9" failed to work though...

Chris