Re: nVidia stuff again

From: Helge Hafting
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 06:27:31 EST

Dave Airlie wrote:

The main reasons they don't like open source is from where I'm
standing, their IP lawyers and probably not being able to do sneaky
hacks in the driver because people can see them..

Well . . . if *that* is a reason for disliking open source then the problem is solved.
We don't really need the source for their driver with the sneaky hacks exposed.
They could keep a proprietary driver with nasty hacks, and release a simplified
one (basically the same code with those hacks removed) along with the specs. Open source developers can then add their own hacks if need be.

Helge Hafting