Re: ia64 git pull

From: Petr Baudis
Date: Thu Apr 21 2005 - 20:55:00 EST

Dear diary, on Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 03:48:35AM CEST, I got a letter
where Inaky Perez-Gonzalez <inaky@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> told me that...

> > I've just added to git-pasky a possibility to refer to branches
> > inside of repositories by a fragment identifier:
>
> > rsync://rsync.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/aegl/linux-2.6.git#testing
>
> > will refer to your testing branch in that repository.
>
> Can we use something other than #? we'll have to scape it all the time
> in the shell (or at least also allow some other char, something
> without special meta-character meaning in the shell, like %).

Remember that it's an URL (so you can't use '%'), and '#' is the
canonical URL fragment identifier delimiter. (And fragments are perfect
for this kind of thing, if you look at the RFC, BTW.)

Still, why would you escape it? My shell will not take # as a comment
start if it is immediately after an alphanumeric character.

--
Petr "Pasky" Baudis
Stuff: http://pasky.or.cz/