Re: Linux 2.6.12-rc3

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Sat Apr 23 2005 - 06:23:29 EST

Hi!

> On Sat, 23 Apr 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
> >
> > Unfortunately first merge will make it practically unusable :-(.
>
> No, quite the reverse. If I merge from you, and you use my commit ID as
> the "base" point, it will work again.

I meant "every time I merge from you, new commit with message 'merge from linus' and
big ugly diff is attached.

> But yes, if you actually send the result as _patches_ to me, then the
> commit objects I create will be totally separate from the commit objects
> you had in your tree, and "git-export" will continue to export your old
> stale entries since they won't show up as already being in my tree.
>
> The point being, that there is a big difference between a proper merge
> (with history etc merged) and just sending me the patches in your tree.

Could we add some kind off "This-changeset-obsoletes: <sha1>" header?
That would allow me to send patches by hand and still make the SCM do the
right thing during merge.

Alternatively I should just get public rsync-able space somewhere...
Would kernel.org be willing to add people/pavel?

Pavel
--
64 bytes from 195.113.31.123: icmp_seq=28 ttl=51 time=448769.1 ms