Re: 2.6.12-rc3 compile failure in tgafb.c, tgafb not working anymore

From: Antonino A. Daplas
Date: Sun Apr 24 2005 - 22:28:18 EST

On Friday 22 April 2005 22:40, Tomi Lapinlampi wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 02:20:30PM +0300, Tomi Lapinlampi wrote:
> > Actually, I was able to get a clean compile with the patch from
> > http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-alpha&m=111392038121433&w=2
>
> Hi again,
>
> Although the tgafb driver compiles with the above patch, it shows
> similar behaviour as before: The kernel loads, the monitor comes alive
> but the screen stays completely blank.
> The last kernel that worked was 2.6.8.1. I've tested with 2.6.{9,10,11}

What does fbset show? If the line rgba shows all zero, then you will get a
blank screen. The driver must properly set info->var.green|red|blue|transp,
which in turn depends on the hardware configuration.

You can try to insert these in tgafb_pci_register() after fb_find_mode().

If at 8bpp pseudocolor:

all->info.var.green.length = 8;
all->info.var.red.length = 8;
all->info.var.blue.length = 8;
all->info.var.green.offset = 0;
all->info.var.red.offset = 0;
all->info.var.blue.offset = 0;

If at 32-bit truecolor:

all->info.var.green.length = 8;
all->info.var.red.length = 8;
all->info.var.blue.length = 8;
all->info.var.green.offset = 8;
all->info.var.red.offset = 16;
all->info.var.blue.offset = 0;

If the above changes work, a definitive fix is still needed, one that will
also set the above for each visual the hardware supports on each
fb_check_var().

Tony