Re: Linux 2.6.12-rc3

From: Len Brown
Date: Tue Apr 26 2005 - 00:27:12 EST

On Sun, 2005-04-24 at 06:26, Andrew Morton wrote:

> Andrew has some work to do before he can regain momentum:
>
> - Which subsystem maintainers will have public git trees?
>
> - Which maintainers will continue to use bk?

I will continue to use bk
until an alternative emerges that makes my role
as a sub-system maintainer easier -- rather than harder.

My employer pays for a commercial bk license.

> - Can Andrew legally use the bk client?
>
> - Can Andrew legally use a bk client which won't go phut at cset 65535?

I don't see why not. Given your central role to the Linux development
process, I would think it would be trivial to justify OSDL arming you
with any and all tools you desire if they make you even slightly more effective.

Also, I would think Bitmover would be interested in having you enabled
to keep people like me as happy paying customers.

The question for bk use is what do we do for a reference "Linus tree"
history. It would be most effective if we could have a single bk history
rather than everybody rolling their own.

> - How do I do a bk `gcapatch' is there is no Linus bk tree to base it off?
>
> - If none of the above, which maintainers will put up-to-date raw patches
> in places where Andrew can get at them?

I can do this if you require it. The current "acpi patch" includes
68 patches: 200 files changed, 7780 insertions(+), 5455 deletions(-)

Everything in it is intended to go to Linus on day-one of 2.6.13.
Some of it should really go into 2.6.12 - but frankly, I hesitate
to touch 2.6.12 while the tools are in such flux.

> I don't know how all this will pan out. I guess the next -mm won't have
> many subsystem trees and I'll gradually add them as things get sorted out.

Please do not roll -mm without including the ACPI sub-system.
-mm provides the broadest pre-integration test coverage we've ever had.
It has allowed us to significantly reduce regressions in Linus' tree
as we encounter the inevitable setbacks associated with making
the ACPI sub-system in Linux the best in the industry.

thanks,
-Len