Re: Kernel memory

From: Gilles Pokam
Date: Fri Apr 29 2005 - 02:13:42 EST

On 4/28/05, Chris Wedgwood <cw@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 28, 2005 at 11:45:40PM -0700, Gilles Pokam wrote:
>
> > the simplest way to say is: I want the pagefault handler to return a
> > memory page when it encounters a pagefault exceptions due to an
> > invalid address or incorrect page protection.
>
> where should this page come from?

One way is to make the pagefault handler return a new vma that
contains the faulty address when such a scenario is encountered. The
normal pagefault mechanism will then apply by the time that address
gets accessed again since the address will now be valid. So a page
will be allocated. But I don't know how what should be changed in the
kernel to enable this behavior.