Re: 2.6.12-rc3-mm1

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 17:09:44 EST

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005 08:27:43 EDT, Ed Tomlinson said:

> If we stick with git it might make sense not to include a linux-patch. cogito
> is quite fast to export using a commit id. Suspect some bandwidth could be
> saved if you just stated the commit id that you based the mm patch on.

I suspect that the majority of people who build -mm kernels build -mm kernels
because they *weren't* using BK to pull the trees they were interested in.

Currently I can pull the pieces needed for a -mm kernel over a 56K modem
without *too* much pain, which means it's something I can easily do in an
evening. What would be the additional disk space requirements to store enough
of a git tree so I can pull the corresponding linus.patch myself, and how long
would it take to do at 56K? Also, what's the comparative CPU/bandwidth hit
on the server end for me to download the additional data if it's bundled
into Andrew's patch, versus me doing a 'git update' or whatever the command is?

I'm suspecting that it's less strain overall to just include the 180K or so that
the bzip'ed linus.patch takes than to make everybody pull the data needed to
create their own linus.patch