Re: 2.6.12-rc3-mm1

From: Zwane Mwaikambo
Date: Sat Apr 30 2005 - 18:04:22 EST

On Sat, 30 Apr 2005, Ed Tomlinson wrote:

> Huh? Assuming one already has a current git tree. Then all Andrew need do
> is publish the commit id from Linus then the complicated procedure becomes
>
> cd <checkedout git copy of kernel>
> cg-update origin
> cg-export ../<work dir> <commit id>
> cd ../<work dir>
> cp ../<default config> .config
> bzcat ../<mm patch> | patch -p1
> make oldconfig
> make
>
> No problem to script this at all. Also, I suspect what when tagging starts to be
> used, that <commit id> will be an easily typeable string.

Ok, now tell this to one of the users who tests kernels, now users also
need to know how to use git in order to test -mm. I'm thinking about the
case where someone reports a bug on LKML and we ask that they test latest
-mm, getting them to also understand git just to quickly test something is
silly. Also people tend to have other things to do so making things
even slightly more difficult doesn't win you testers. Maybe i'm just
lazy... *shrug*