Re: 2.6.12-rc3-mm2

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 00:28:49 EST

James Cloos <cloos@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Apologies if this has already been asked and I missed it, but do you
> expect to transition to exporting your working tree via git, now that
> licensing concerns are not part of the equation?

Nope. At any particular point in time the tree I have here has lots of
problems - failing to compile, crashing, etc. It takes me from four hours
to three days just to get a halfway-respectable release out the door.

So there's no way in which I'd want to make the tree-of-the-minute
externally available - it would muck people around too much and would cause
me to get a ton of email about stuff which I'd probably already fixed.

That, plus a traditional SCM is an inappropriate format for something like
-mm. This tree is a series of patches against Linus's tree - that's how it
is developed, tested and sent upstream. Patches get added, dropped,
reordered and merged at any time. It's hard to explain - you need to have
used patch-scripts or quilt for a while...

Prematurely flattening all this into an SCM view is a fairly pointless
exercise - the only reason for doing it would be for people to be able to
download it. And they can do that by grabbing the single diff anyway. I
suppose someone might start offering git -mm trees sometime, as an
alternative to grabbing the diff file.