Re: Mercurial 0.4b vs git patchbomb benchmark

From: Sean
Date: Mon May 02 2005 - 14:03:32 EST

On Mon, May 2, 2005 12:10 pm, Bill Davidsen said:

> Now look at pulling 41MB over a T1 link. All of a sudden I care bigtime!
> I want very much to use my bandwidth for other things, I don't want 41MB
> added to my backup, etc. Disk space is cheap, but unless you ignore
> backups and have an OC3 or so, these numbers are large enough to be
> irritating. Not a huge issue, just one of those "piss me off every time
> I do it" things.

That 41MB or lets say 200MB is spread over several months between
releases. Pulling once a day from the git public repository, makes this
barely noticeable. In the future there may be optimized protocols to
handle this more efficiently.

You bring up a good point about backups though. Eventually it might be
nice to have a utility that exports/imports a git repository in a flat
file using deltas rather than snapshots. Such an export format would
make backups and tarballs cheaper.

Sean