Re: A patch for the file kernel/fork.c

From: Dmitry Torokhov
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 14:35:37 EST

On 5/4/05, Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx <Valdis.Kletnieks@xxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, 04 May 2005 15:26:44 -0300, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Andr=E9_Pereira_de_Almeida?= said:
>
> > In a preemptible kernel with the serport module and a serial port try to
> > run the following program:
>
> > and kill it.
> > In my case it will hang the computer. I think this is a problem with the
> > serport module. With this patch, the serial mouse stop working, but the
> > computer don't hang.
>
> The fact that the mouse stops working is indicative that this patch doesn't
> actually fix the problem, it's just pushing it around in the kernel - sooner
> or later something *else* is going to go pear-shaped on the null *mm. The right
> fix is to figure out why mm is bogus and fix that issue.

serport module is busted at the moment. Look here for the patch:

http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.12-rc3/2.6.12-rc3-mm2/broken-out/serport-oops-fix.patch

It should probably go into -stable but Vojtech seems to have
disappeared... I think Fedora already picked it up.

--
Dmitry