Re: ata over ethernet question

From: David Hollis
Date: Wed May 04 2005 - 14:51:58 EST

On Wed, 2005-05-04 at 19:31 +0200, Maciej Soltysiak wrote:
> Hi,
>
> AOE is a bit new for me.
>
> Would it be possible to use tha AOE driver to
> attach one ATA drive in a host over ethernet to another
> host ? Or is it support for specific hardware devices only?
>
> You know, something like:
> # fdisk <device_on_another_host>
> # mkfs.ext2 <device_on_another_host/partition1>
> # mount <device_on_another_host/partition1> /mnt/part1

That seems to be the basic idea but there doesn't seem to be a provider
stack just yet, just a 'client' (though I could be wrong). AOE is
similar in concept to iSCSI with the biggest difference being that AOE
runs over Ethernet and is thus non-routeable. iSCSI operates over IP so
you can do all kinds of fun IP games with it.