Re: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 06:15:50 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
> On 5/5/05, Wakko Warner <wakko@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > If this interface is obsolete and will be removed, is there any non-obsolete
> > way of telling the kernel what geometry I want to use for this ide device?
>
> Yes, physical geometry - through boot parameters and logical geometry
> is not needed for IDE layer to function properly.

I did not ask if it was needed for it to function, I asked how to set it
since the "settings" file is obsolete. Yes, I do need to set this. I want
to know what the "non-obsolete" way is. A project I'm working on uses linux
to do something with the drive and that is dependant on the geometry that
linux provides to programs be the same as what the bios thinks. I know how
to obtain the bios values. I have to set these values to the kernel so
everything functions properly.

If there is no "non-obsolete" way of doing this, then fine, I'll continue
with the settings thing.