Re: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 11:26:28 EST

> As stated in my last email, I am using EDD. I only need the legacy heads
> and sectors. I can figure out the cylinders by that and the size of the
> disk.

Which legacy size do you want though - the partition label, the disks
opinion this week or the CMOS. They can all be different. Linux used to
play "guess roughly what Windows might guess".

> I have some utils (mkdosfs comes to mind) that do not let the user specify
> heads/sectors/cyls (it doesn't use cyl actually).

Presumably they need to follow the MS sequence of guesses then, even on
non PC systems ? So partition table, cmos, drive in that order if I
remember rightly.