Re: /proc/ide/hd?/settings obsolete in 2.6.

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 17:20:54 EST

On Iau, 2005-05-05 at 21:53, Wakko Warner wrote:
> What is the right way for apps that need it to get it? Or is the kernel
> just going to obsolete geometry entirely?

The truth is the kernel never knew. It often got it right on x86 but it
was never reliable. There are too many platform specific heuristics and
complications that depend on the intended use of the geometry for the
kernel to be the right place to do this.

The fact it got pushed out was intentional and something I agree with..