Re: Empty partition nodes not created (was device node issues with recent mm's and udev)

From: Andries Brouwer
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 03:08:24 EST

On Tue, May 03, 2005 at 12:18:05AM -0400, Joe wrote:
> On 5/2/05, Randy.Dunlap <rddunlap@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Could this 2.6.11.8 -stable patch fix it?
> > Subject: [04/07] partitions/msdos.c fix
> >
> > Joe, can you test 2.6.11.8, please?
> >
> > ---
> > ~Randy
> >

> Randy, Can't run vanilla at the moment on this setup, any way you can
> get the patch seperate? I also don't think that will fix it because
> this is an empty, not a msdos partition.
>
> Thanks,
> Joe

There is a misunderstanding in terminology here.
"DOS-type partition table" is for most Linux users the only type
they have ever seen. The msdos in this context does not refer
to a particular filesystem, like the fat or msdos filesystem.

In case you have a problem because you want to access this partition,
give it some nonzero type.

Andries