No rule to make target 'modules'

From: Kevin Crofts
Date: Fri May 06 2005 - 17:07:41 EST

Hi,
I'm a complete Newbie to Linux and I am trying to compile a driver and
application on Red Hat 9.0. I have installed Red Hat 9.0 without GUI
and only development tools. I have installed the source code from Disk2
- Kernel-source-2.4.20-8.I386.rpm.
I then ran
make mrproper
I removed 'custom' from the Makefile in /usr/drc/linux-2.4.20-8/Makefile
EXTRAVERSION = -8custom
I then ran
make oldconfig
make dep
make modules && make modules_install
I can see files in /lib/modules/2.3.20-8/build and also I can see Rules.make
in this folder.
When I run Make in the application folder I get the following error:
No rule to make target 'modules'.
Please can some-one help me, I don't understand what I'm doing wrong?
Thanks,
Kevin