advices for a lcd driver design.

From: moreau francis
Date: Sun May 08 2005 - 05:34:57 EST

Hi,

I'm trying to write a lcd driver for a HD44780 compatible display.
Basicaly it will be the only screen available on my linux board.
My problem is that I don't know which desgin I should use when
implementing the lcd's driver, because several choices are possible:

1) implementing a dumb char device "/dev/lcd"
2) implementing a console driver
3) implementing a tty driver

I can't find any documentation on vt that makes the choice quite
hard but when looking at the code it may be the best choice for
user-space. Do you think it's the good direction ?

Thanks for your advices,

Francis.