Re: Bug: 2.6.11.8 msdos.c

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon May 09 2005 - 12:43:09 EST

Richard B. Johnson wrote:
On Fri, 6 May 2005, Bill Davidsen wrote:

James Dingwall wrote:

Andries' hint about changing the partition types to !0 is a fix for the
problem.

What is the reason for the patch in the first place? Obviously it's
intended to do something, or not do something bad, but what's wrong with
a reserved partition?

I looked at the rest of msdos.c and it wasn't blindingly clear what the
original intent was. A partition type of zero is unusual, but it's not
illegal, is it? (as in violates some standard)

Can't the problem be fixed by just using Linux fdisk to put in the
correct ID? Unlike MS-DOS fdisk, the Linux fdisk can modify things
without destroying everything else on the drive.

Yes, that works. My question was why a zero was considered a bad value instead of "reserved." Not that I disagree, I just don't see the reason.

--
-bill davidsen (davidsen@xxxxxxx)