Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 002 release

From: Alexander E. Patrakov
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 07:59:32 EST

Marco d'Itri wrote:

On May 10, Rusty Russell <rusty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

So I rewrote it yesterday, so now it passes the testsuite. I also added
a test. It's in 3.2-pre4: if there are no more requests/bugs in the
next couple of days, I'll make that 3.3.

My major request is support for /etc/hotplug/blacklist.d/ in modprobe:
now that the hotplug subsystem does not know anymore the name of the
module to be loaded, it's up to modprobe to check the system blacklist.
IME, without this feature users will not accept hotplug-ng.

Why not this or something similar (e.g. I want to blacklist the xxx and yyy modules)? (note, untested)

in /etc/modprobe.d/hotplug_blacklist:

install xxx /sbin/blacklisted xxx
install yyy /sbin/blacklisted yyy

In /sbin/blacklisted:

#!/bin/sh
if [ -z "$SEQNUM" ] ; then
/sbin/modprobe -i "$@"
else
exit 1
fi

Any other variable that is certainly present in hotplug events will also work instead of $SEQNUM.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov