Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 002 release

From: Per Liden
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 18:58:19 EST

On Tue, 10 May 2005, Greg KH wrote:

> On Wed, May 11, 2005 at 12:17:12AM +0200, Per Liden wrote:
> > I'd like to get a better understanding of that as well. Why invent a
> > second on demand module loader when we have kmod? The current approach
> > feels like a step back to something very similar to the old kerneld.
>
> kmod is not used at all if you are running udev on your system.

Since when does udev load modules for you? And how would it know when to
load "device less" modules such as filesystems?

> It's also better to allow userspace to make the decision as to if it
> should load a specific module or not, not the kernel.

If you don't want a specific module to be loaded, then don't build it.
You just said that yourself in the blacklisting dicsussion remember? ;)
(hint: "Don't build the OSS modules at all?").

/Per