Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 002 release

From: Rusty Russell
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 19:07:19 EST

On Tue, 2005-05-10 at 13:13 -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> On Tue, May 10, 2005 at 07:24:47PM +0200, Marco d'Itri wrote:
> > On May 10, "Alexander E. Patrakov" <patrakov@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > Why not this or something similar (e.g. I want to blacklist the xxx and
> > > yyy modules)? (note, untested)
>
> Nice, I like it.
>
> > Because it's impossible to predict how it will interact with other
> > install and alias commands.
>
> Then we will just have to find out :)

The interaction of aliases and install commands on the same thing is
deliberately undefined (eg. "alias foo bar // install foo ..." - which
takes priority?), but aliases that lead to install commands like this is
OK. If not, it's a bug.

The other possible solution is for /etc/hotplug.d/blacklist to contain
"install xxx /bin/false // install yyy /bin/true //
include /etc/modprobe.d" and have hotplug invoke modprobe with
--config=/etc/hotplug.d/blacklist. Substitute names to fit.

Now, should install commands in included files override install commands
in earlier files? Again, undefined, but currently they do: in the above
model maybe they shouldn't? We can nail it down either way...

Thanks,
Rusty.
--
A bad analogy is like a leaky screwdriver -- Richard Braakman