Re: did i trash my kernel?

From: Manuel Schneider
Date: Wed May 11 2005 - 04:22:59 EST

Hi,

> In /usr/src/linux-2.4.28-gentoo-r5, I edited the
> Makefile so that "EXTRAVERSION = -gentoo-r5-new", and
> recompiled my custom kernel with the following
> commands:
>
> make mrproper
> make menuconfig
> make dep
> make bzImage
> make modules
> make modules-install
> make install
This looks fine so far except that we don't know if the settings in
the .config-file match your computers hardware and needs.

> Bringing eth0 up via DHCP... [!!]
> ERROR: Problem starting needed services.
> "netmount" was not started.
This is NOT a kernel error message.
This message is printed by the shellscript /etc/init.d/net.eth0 which is
started by init.

Maybe there is no module for eth0 loaded? Log in as root and try
dhcpcd eth0
What happens? What error message do you get? Fix that.

> So, did I trash my original kernel? Was the method I
> used to compile a custom kernel incorrect?
As I said above - this is NOT a kernel error. Maybe there's a missing module,
but the would depend on your kernel configuration or
on /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.4 (load the right modules on startup).

If you have further questions concerning this error and / or gentoo linux look
at the forums at forums.gentoo.org or contact me directly. Don't bother the
LKML with this.

Greets,

Manuel